Instant pot has made life pretty easier. We can not only cook any meal by many easiest ways but instant pot electric pressure cooker also replaces 10 to 15 kitchen appliances. I love roast chicken. Today in this blog we will learn an amazing, easy and super delicious instant pot whole chicken roast recipe for a perfect family dinner. I have tried this recipe many times in my 6-quart duo. (Buy most selling instant pot Duo60 on Amazon)
Picture Courtesy: 3G Cooking
Roasting chicken in instant pot is amazingly fast, tasty and healthy as compared to oven roasted chicken. This is one of the reasons that make instant pot my favorite. You can try this simple recipe during your busy days when you have a very small amount of free time for cooking or even on Sunday family/friends meet up. The chicken comes out is juicy and the meat will be fall-off-the-bone tender.
Prep Time: 10 min (Plus 5 minutes for frozen chicken) Cooking Time: 25 min
Serving Size: Serves 4-5 people
- 2 tablespoon (tbsp) olive oil
- 5-6 pound whole chicken with skin
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Rosemary
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon (tsp) Rubbed Sage
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Table Salt
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
1. Set your instant pot to saute. Pour the 2 tbsp olive oil in the pot and let the oil heat up for some time.
Note: If the chicken is frozen then you can thaw the chicken in instant pot before 1st step. Just put ½ cup of water at the bottom of the pot. Place the chicken on the trivet came with your pot. Cook on high pressure for 3-4 minutes. Do quick release by turning the venting knob from seal to venting position. Wait until the floating valve drops down completely. Open the lid and now your chicken is thawed. You can also use steamer basket instead of trivet.
2. While the oil heats up, dry your chicken (fresh or thawed) completely using paper towels. Because fresh chicken is also moist. This will not only help in seasoning the meat but at the end you will also take out perfectly brown and flavorful roasted chicken from the pot.
3. For spice rubbed seasoning we have 1 tbsp thyme, 1 tbsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp each rubbed sage, black pepper, cayenne pepper and table salt. Mix them up
4. Sprinkle the spices all over the chicken. Rub them lightly and make sure all the meat is completely seasoned. You can also pour some lemon on the meat.
5. When your instant pot will show “hot”. Put the chicken inside the pot with breast down. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes for nice and brown breast.
6. Then flip the chicken to the other side and add 2 cups of chicken broth.
7. Now close the lid and verify the venting knob is set at sealing position.
8. Turn off the saute and click on the poultry.
9. Set the time to 25 min for pressure cooking. The instant pot will start cooking. After 25 min, the electric cooker will automatically go into keep warm mode.
10. Then press “cancel” and do the natural release by rotating the venting knob from sealing to venting position.
11. Wait for 10 minutes and then take out the cooked bird from pot.
After following the above method, now you have tender, juicy, full of great taste and ready-to eat chicken. I hope you will like this recipe.